What’s this about Google Assistant on iPhone?
This is an extract from The Week In Search SEO Update for w/e 19th May 2017.
#SEO #GoogleAssistant #MobileSearch #Apple #iPhone
Google Assistant Coming to iPhone
Google Assistant Summary:
- Google has launched its Assistant app in Apple’s US App Store.
- Users will now have the option of comparing Siri vs Assistant
- Users will now also be able to properly integrate with actions / notifications from other Google Apps.
- Google Lens will also be integrated.
- This will still be a standalone app and not baked into the OS like Siri.
How to Get Listed in Google Assistant:
- Cover your bases. Make sure your information is stored and optimised on both Apple’s and Google’s data sources.
- This means structured data (yes, I know it’s a theme).
- Ensure your structured data is standards compliant and meets requirements for both Google and Apple’s data sources.
- Contact me to discuss this, or for help with implementation.
iPhone Google Assistant Discussion:
The keys to the uptake of this app on the iPhone will be the user’s integration with the ecosystem of either Apple, or Google, the one you use more heavily will likely impact your adoption and usage.
The other key to adoption will be the usefulness of Google Lens. If it is really all it’s hyped up to be then it has the potential to be a killer app in terms of search and integration into action.
If iPhone users adopt this, more traffic will come from Google, than from Apple’s data providers (such as Bing, Yelp etc). This could also kick Apple into gear, especially with Visual Search and further integration into our everyday actions.