What’s this about?
This is an extract from TWIS SEO News & Updates w/e 18 August 2017.
Read about Google’s new 6-second video previews, what they are, when they appear and how your videos can be shown in the listings.
Contact me if you would like to discuss ways to surface your videos in Google’s organic search results.
#SEO #VideoSearch #MobileSearch #SERP
Google Releases 6 Second Video Previews in Mobile Search
Summary – Google 6 Second Video Previews:
- Google has released 6-second video previews into the mobile search interface.
- These are currently only available on Chrome, or in the Google app on Android.
- The video clips are algorithmically created from the video.
- In line with most other platforms, the video clips will only auto-play on WiFi unless you elect to auto-play on mobile data.
Actions to take – Google 6 Second Video Previews:
- If your videos are surfacing in SERP now, then expect further traction with these 6 second clips.
- If you’re not creating video, why not?
- The six seconds are chosen algorithmically, there is currently no way to influence which six seconds are chosen.
- Monitor your video analytics to see if your watch-time increases as a result of users heing primed with a preview.
- Contact me if you would like to discuss ways to surface your videos in Google’s organic search results.
Well, the world is going 6 second video mad. It’s interesting that this seems to be the length which gets people most engaged.
Facebook has had significant success with integrating video directly into the feed, LinkedIn has recently started to include video (although neither are using the 6 second format) and it’s only natural for Google to take a leaf out of their book.
You would imagine that following a six-second preview, a viewer of your video is much more likely to engage with it for a longer time, or click onwards. It will be interesting to see.
As a result of this, more people are likely to try video. It will be come more congested, and your video and video pages will need to be optimised better.
Mobile First is NOT Mobile Friendly
I recently wrote about how Google’s Mobile First is Not Mobile Friendly. Read it now.
- Google’s joining the 6-second club, running short video clips in SERP.
- Google is creating 6-second clips algorithmically from video clips it wants to list in search.
- It’s not yet possible to control which 6 seconds get shown.
- Read The State of SEO in mid-2017.
- Read about how Google’s Mobile First Index is not Mobile Friendly.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to discuss what these changes mean for your web property, or would like to know how to implement them, please feel free to contact me.