What’s this about Google Updates?
This is an extract from TWIS SEO Update 30 June 2017.
It seems there was a Google update around 25th June 2017. It’s not been confirmed by Google (they rarely do), and the current chatter is that it focuses on content quality and backlinks,
If you would like to discuss the impact this update may have had on your web business, and how to mitigate the potential risks of Google updates, please feel free to contact me.
#SEO #GoogleUpdates #ContentQuality #BackLinkProfile
Google Update ~25th June 2017
- So, it looks like Google is playing the update game again, with many webmaster reporting dramatic shifts in traffic around 25th June.
- Par for the course, Google are denying anything unusual has happened (“we update the algorithm 500 times a year”).
- Webmasters are describing this as a tightening of the Panda / Penguin noose – content quality and backlinks, although almost all updates will revolve around these two elements in some way.
Actions to take:
- As ever with updates, check your traffic analytics, your rankings and your conversions, usually if you have been hit, it is super obvious.
- If hit, analyse and identify pages and rankings which were hit. Gap analysis pre- and post-update.
- Look for common themes across the pages hit (there’s no indication this is a site-wide update yet).
- Remediate the issues seen.
- Concentrate on producing good quality content, in tandem with natural, organic backlinks.
- To prevent being hit by updates, build sites which are great, meet all the guidelines, and don’t focus too heavily on “beating” any particular part of the algorithm.
- If you do want to test a particular part of the algorithm, run multiple strategies to remove risk from the Single Point of Failure.
- Contact me if you would like to discuss this Google Update further.
Google Updates Discussion:
Google updates come and go. This one seems fairly well substantiated with a number of webmasters and biggish sites reporting significant impact of the update.
I do wonder when webmasters will learn that in order to prevent being impacted severely by updates, they really have to aim to be successful across a wide spectrum of the algorithm’s nuances. There is no point running a single
The State of SEO Mid-2017 Released
- There was a Google Update on 25th June 2017.
- The focus appears to be content quality and backlinks.
- Google has not confirmed the update.
- Read The State of SEO in mid-2017.
- Read about how the Mobile First Index is not Mobile Friendly.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to discuss what these changes mean for your web property, or would like to know how to implement them, please feel free to contact me.