What’s this about?
This is an extract from TWIS SEO Update 2nd June 2017.
You can read actionable insights on the effects of Google ceasing support for the NOODP meta tag in this post. If you would like to discuss ways this may impact your web business, please feel free to contact me.
#SEO #MetaTags #TechnicalSEO
NOODP Meta Tags No More – Time to Update Meta Tags
- Following DMOZ closing, as discussed in The Week In Search 3rd March 2017, Google has dropped support for the NOODP meta tag.
- This means that it’s time to make sure your own meta descriptions are in order and accurately reflect the content of your page.
Actions to take:
- If any search listings were using a DMOZ snippet, then it’s time to update that page.
- Remove any legacy NOODP meta tags from web pages. Every bit counts.
- Review your listings for various keywords to see if Google is using the meta-description, a snippet from the page, or one from somewhere else.
- If needed, update the meta description to accurately reflect the content.
- Use this Basic Meta Tags guide to get your metas up to speed.
- Contact me if you would like assistance reviewing and optimising meta tags for improved display and click-through.
Ahhh, meta descriptions, the unloved child of SEO. They don’t directly impact rankings. They don’t particularly need to be under 160 characters, but they do have an impact on search performance. Get the right and they set the scene for increased click-through from search (out-performing your ranking position), and conversions, as people are find what they are looking for when they hit your page.
It’s sad to see DMOZ go, but with the news that Del.icio.us also appears to be in its death throes it really seems to old guard of the web is falling off the perch at an alarming rate. I have to confess, I can’t remember the last time I saw an ODP snippet in use, but I’m sure there were a few out there, and still are on legacy pages, long-forgotten, but still indexed, still ranking, and still sending traffic.
The State of SEO Mid-2017 Released
We recently released the super-exciting The State of SEO in mid-2017. Read it now.
- Read The State of SEO in mid-2017.
- NOODP is no more. Update your meta tags, descriptions and snippets.
- And make them nice for your users.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to discuss what these changes mean for your web property, or would like to know how to implement them, please feel free to contact me.