Key Issues Summary:
- John Mueller seems to have been in an effusive mood as he muttered about the looming mobile first index from Google.
- Basically, if you check your log files (you do know what they are, don’t you?), you will see a significant transformation in requests from Googlebot Desktop to Googlebot Mobile.
- The crawling shift will be big and obvious, apparently.
Key Actions To Take:
- Check your log files for requests from Googlebot.
- Calculate the split between Desktop and Mobile and….. bingo, bango, bongo… there you have it.
- If you don’t know how to access your log file, chat to your host.
- If you don’t know how to interpret them, again talk to your host.
- Wait for my blog post on how to dissect your log files, there’s gold dust in there.
- Click here to contact me for help on dissecting log files.
Insights & Discussion:
Log files are the prune juice of the internet. We know we need to use them, but we rarely do.
We also know that if we use them wisely, we’ll get a lot out of the system.
I really recommend getting into the habit of downloading and reading your log files regularly. I used to have a script which analysed my log files daily and told me where my traffic was coming from, to which pages and other data. I didn’t need Google Analytics then.
Anyway, I can’t stress this highly enough, you should be analysing your log files to identify crawling issues, traffic issues and all sorts of things. However, you can get lost in there, so keep your analysis as detailed as you need it without going overboard.
Return to Top