Knowledge Panels Key Issues Summary:
- Pete Meyers from Moz has produced an excellent analysis (even using Moz’s poor excuse for a dataset) of the rise of Knowledge Panels in place of the recently disappearing Featured Snippets.
- Essentially, for a lot of broad head terms, the Featured Snippet has been replaced by a Knowledge Panel.
- Often the Knowledge Panel is slightly lower quality than one might expect, although given the broad nature of a generic head term, it’s perhaps not surprising.
How to Generate Featured Snippets:
- If you are targeting Featured Snippet generation, think long and hard about head terms.
- Undoubtedly there will still be snippets for some of them, but you’d imagine their days are numbered.
- Focus on the remaining 10-12% of search which generates a snippet.
- Or contribute better information to the pages which are being pulled from for Knowledge Panel information.
- Click here to contact me to discuss how to generate Featured Snippets.
Featured Snippets Insights & Discussion:
Ahhhh, Featured Snippets, the latest distraction in the ever-lasting game of Google Cat & Mouse. As I’ve said before, a lot of Featured Snippets are uselessly poor.
Head terms and generics are always a bit of a challenge for Google. It cannot really divine a sensible user intent, so it struggles to produce a meaningful set of results, and often produces a stab-in-the-dark mish-mash of information, location, or ecommerce results instead.
Now, imagine if you will, if Google were to slide the information into a Knowledge Panel instead of into the mainstream SERPs. Oh lookie – more space for ecommerce results. How did that happen?
The other issue driving this shift is also some of the Fake News farrago, where information has surfaced from less-trusted sites for contentious, and occasionally, very mainstream searches. If it impacts those searches, chances are some poor information (as discussed previously) has been slipping into the search results. So what should Google do? Analyse the query and pull the result from a respectable, reputable source of information, which can fit nicely into a Knowledge Panel. Sometimes, a butterfly flaps in the Amazon…
More Information on Featured Snippets and Knowledge Panels:
Return to Top