What’s this about?
Hooray! It’s a happy Monday, when you get to start it by reading the SEO Bits & Pieces – a juicy and snackable collection of tempting morsels from the world of SEO, search and digital marketing.
Do yourself a favour and read this extract from TWIS SEO News & Updates 17th November 2017.
#SEO #SEONews #GoogleMaps #LocalSEO #Facebook #LinkBuilding
SEO Bits & Pieces w/e 17th November 2017
- Google Maps is getting a redesign! Cue anguished wailing from all over the web as user’s lives are ruined, ruined I say. I don’t think this is earth-shattering, but you do have to question the UI & UX of a redesign that needs an extensive cheat sheet to explain its symbols. Particularly when its symbol for cemetery looks suspiciously like a road sign for a picnic spot.
- Facebook is giving another stab at Local by revamping its Events app (what’s that?) into some sort of Local hybrid. It baffles me that Facebook fails so magnificently at local. Perhaps because its users don’t know how to search and Facebook is just not that good at aggregating and displaying information – unlike monetising that information.
- Google reminds webmasters that it is still making changes to its Panda and Penguin algorithms. Considering these are core algorithms, do people really think they are static?
- This week Google says you can use a Disavow if it makes you feel better. I get the feeling they are getting fed up with telling people not to bother. Historically, Google ignored poor links to your website, but included them. Now it just ignores them.
- In a really good, but slightly flawed article, SE Land talks about how PBNs (Private Blog Networks) can get you penalised. In short, don’t use them folks. The flaw is that PBNs are relatively easy to spot & if I can spot them, Google can. The other flaw with the article is the missing piece about “follow the money”. 9 times out of 10 the PBNs will be monetised to the same ad codes. Simples.
- Click here to contact me to discuss any of these SEO Bits & Pieces further.
The State of SEO Mid-2017 Released
- Google maps is getting a re-design.
- Facebook is giving yet another doomed go at local search.
- Google’s Panda and Penguin algorithms are still getting updates.
- Links disavowal is still a hot topic, unless you get them from a Private Blog Network (PBN).
- Read The State of SEO in mid-2017.
- Read about how Google’s Mobile First Index is not Mobile Friendly.
- Finally, get your content ranking well on Google by starting to understand Find Crawl Index.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to discuss what these changes mean for your web property, or would like to know how to implement them, please feel free to contact me.